St Michael’s Parish Church is a very significant 19th century parish church on a prominent site in western Edinburgh. It is ‘A Listed’ and generally regarded as the best church in Edinburgh of its style and period. Designed by John Honeyman and built in 1883, it ‘stands head and shoulders above the rest’ of the 19th century churches in Edinburgh, according to The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (p.42). The great tower is a prominent and loved landmark; and the well-kept gardens surrounding the building are an appreciated local amenity.
There now follows a timeline presenting significant moments in the history of St Michael’s.