External Restoration Project CompletionAfter the project survey, the project went to tender and the successful contractor was Cummings & Co. who started work on site in 2005. The project continued until 2007 when the contractor vacated the site. The stonemasons employed on the project showed that they were fully as able as the original builders of the church and can feel justly proud of their craftsmanship.
External Restoration Project SurveyFollowing on from the successful internal restoration 1994-2000, there was obvious need to replace much stonework which had become eroded by time and weather. Jocelyn Cunliffe of Gray Marshall & Associates was appointed as architect and professional adviser to St Michael’s and an extensive survey of the structural state was completed and a schedule of works constructed. St Michael’s was able to find a contribution of £200,000 towards the final costs of £660,888.91. The Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland were approached for support grants. Without their support, the Restoration would have been impossible and St Michael’s acknowledges the generous support it has received from both of these bodies. Additional financial support has been given by the Baird Trust and the Scottish Churches Architectural Heritage Trust for which St Michael’s is also grateful.
The Duncan Doors3rd June 2001 was a great day for everyone. The Connie Duncan doors were dedicated to the glory of God, and in memory of Connie Duncan who had left her fortune to the "five churches in which she had been happy". The design of the glass is by Susan Bradbury and the wood is by Charles Taylor. The design echoes the doors of 1883, but they are definitely 21st century in design with different textured hand-made glass.
Lectern and Pulpit Book MarkersThe Lectern markers show the famous Alpha and Omega, meaning the beginning and the end. These symbols indicate that we have the whole gospel of salvation through Christ, in the Bible. The Pulpit markers show the Cross and the XP sign, which is the first two letters of the name of Christ in Greek. This symbolises that Christ crucified, is preached from the pulpit. Look closely at a map of the area and you will see streets named Primrose, Daisy, Lily, Violet, Almond, Holly, Myrtle, Ivy and Laurel Terrace etc. The markers are decorated with these flowers and leaves.
Communion Table FallOn April 8th 2001, St Michaels was honoured to receive gifts of a communion table fall, along with pulpit and lectern book markers. These were gifted in memory of one of our congregational members, by her family, and were designed and executed by the famous artist, Hannah Frew Paterson.
Rev John E Hamilton M.C. B.A.During Mr Hamilton's ministry Choir Stall Seats were installed and also the Electric Lighting to improve the overall usability of the church.
The Iron ChurchIn 1877 the districts of Dalry, Tynecastle and North Merchiston were rapidly growing. Mr James Hope of Belmont, Murrayfield, who took a deep interest in Church extension, along with Mr James Adams Wenley, Treasurer of the Bank of Scotland, Mr John Hope Finlay, W.S., and with the help of the Home Mission Committee and St. Cuthbert's Parish Church, erected an Iron Church.
West Stained Window - David A Carnegie M.D.In 1886 St Michaels was gifted the West Stained Window entitled : In beloved memory of Sir George Ballingall, M.D., Professor of Military Surgery, Edinburgh University, born 1780, died 1856; John Pitcairn, M.D., died in the island of Java, 1840, aged 40 years; David A. Carnegie M.D., Surgeon-Major (retired) Indian Army, born 1814, died 15th May 1887
East Stained Window - David A Carnegie M.D.In 1886 St Michaels was gifted the East Stained Window entitled : To the Glory of God - In beloved memory of William Pitcairn, Esq., of Burnhead, Dundee, died 1831, aged 68 years; Robert Dall, Esq., of Cedar Valley, Jamaica, died in Edinburgh, 1850, aged 62 years, and his wife Jane Pitcairn, died 1842, aged 51 years.
The new church of St Michaels was completedOnce completed, The Iron Church was bought in 1884 by the authorities of West House, Momingside
The Old Iron Church in the grounds of the Royal Edinburgh HospitalThe Iron Church was built as a temporary construction to hold approximately 500 people while the current St. Michael’s building was being built. It stood on the corner of Ardmillan Terrace and Angle Park Terrace opposite the current St. Michael’s building. Once the current building was in use the old Iron Church was relocated in the grounds of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, and used for worship there. It still stands today, and is still in use.
Rev. George Wilson D.DSunday 2nd December St Michaels Church was opened for public worship. The first minister was the Rev. George Wilson D.D